What is a Transporter?
Transporters are casual employees who transport consumers to or from Hospitals and Crisis Residential Care Units outside of our catchment area (Alpena, Alcona, Montmorency, Presque Isle) as needed. This can happen before, during, or after regular business hours.
What is the personnel ratio? Transporters most often travel in pairs. Two personnel per trip for the purpose of safety and clinical support.
Is there training available? Yes! NeMCMHA offers 100% paid training in the use of agency vehicles, gentle teaching, non-violent intervention, CPR-FA, and more.
Do I need a special license in order to apply? No. A valid Michigan driver’s license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. A chauffeur’s license is nice, though.
What is a Casual or SUB Worker?
Casual or SUB workers are able to determine their own schedules – filling in vacant roles when they’re able and turning down offered shifts when they’re unavailable. This role is great for retirees who want to remain active, or for students or parents who need flexibility.
This posting takes place on-site. Due to the nature of the work, remote employment is currently unavailable for this position.
- High school diploma or GED preferred.
- Knowledge of mental health issues related to persons with a serious and persistent mental illness and developmental disabilities as appropriate.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with consumers, families, and community during the provision of support services addressing decompensation of emotional/functional impairment and improving the consumer’s independence and enhancing their mental health recovery/status.
- Lived experience with mental illness, intellectual and developmental disabilities, and/or substance use disorders valued.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record (as determined by the agency).
- Ability to work a varied schedule.
- Ability to maintain favorable public relations, to include positive relationships in the workplace.
- Ability to prepare written contact notes and reports related to services provided.
As a Transporter you will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of universal precautions, standards of practice including but not limited to confidentiality and recipient rights, and emergency protocol.
- Demonstrate effective support to consumers that adheres to “Person Centered Planning” while participating in services and activities.
- Demonstrate safe transportation of consumers.
- Follow agency procedures regarding medication.
- Work effectively with providers, families, case managers concerning assessments, service implementation, and consumer participation.
- Be able to prepare progress notes, reports and required documentation according to agency documentation procedures.
- Attend meetings as required.
- Promote independence and mental health recovery in all aspects of consumer interaction.
- Participate in trainings aimed at the provision of services for consumers with co-occurring disorders.
WHO ARE WE?
Northeast Michigan Community Mental Health Authority is a CARF accredited behavioral health organization located in Alpena, Michigan on the beautiful shores of Lake Huron. We service Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency, and Presque Isle counties with the purpose to provide comprehensive services and supports that enable people to live and work independently.
Our goal is to offer employees the best of both worlds: a positive and exciting work environment with a healthy and balanced home life. Our region offers a peaceful up north living with year round recreational opportunities.
Apply for Position