Substitute or Casual Direct Support
What is a Casual or SUB Worker?
Casual or SUB workers are able to determine their own schedules – filling in vacant roles when they’re able and turning down offered shifts when they’re unavailable. This role is great for retirees who want to remain active, or for students or parents who need flexibility.
What is the personnel ratio? This will depend on the program you wish to work with. Group Homes average 3:1, Community Supports are usually 1:1.
What shifts are available? That’s up to you – we have programs that run 24/7, 365.
Is there training available? Yes! NeMCMHA offers 100% paid training. CPR-FA, Gentle Teaching, and Non-Violent Intervention are a few classes at the core of our curriculum.
Do I need a CNA license in order to apply? No! We do encourage people with experience to apply, but no license is required.
This posting takes place on-site. Due to the nature of the work, remote employment is currently unavailable for this position.
- High School diploma or GED preferred.
- Knowledge of developmental disabilities and of people with developmental disabilities desirable.
- Lived experience with mental illness, intellectual and developmental disabilities, and/or substance use disorders valued.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record (as determined by the agency).
- Good communication skills—both verbal and written—are required.
- Provide a wide variety of services and supports to individuals who are living in their own houses, apartments, or are transitioning to a community based living environment or within a licensed residential setting.
- Assist with personal care and activities of daily living as well as teaching the skills needed to maintain one’s own home.
- Have good judgment, be a positive role model and be able to communicate respectfully and effectively with the people served and their support team.
- Help support and guide individuals as they make relevant choices and will support and encourage their movement toward a more independent, integrated life style.
- Continually evaluate and help individuals develop natural supports and positive community friendships.
- Transport individuals, support them in community activities, at medical appointments, shopping and leisure; will provide safe and accurate medication assistance; provide physical assistance and use assistive devices for transferring individuals, according to individual program plans and individual Plan of Service.
- Provide support to assist and teach the individual how to plan meals, shop for ingredients, and prepare nutritious low-cost meals.
- Accurately complete and maintain data collection, providing verbal and written reports and communication as required.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Free Trainings
- Employee Assistance Program
- And more!
WHO ARE WE?
Northeast Michigan Community Mental Health Authority is a CARF accredited behavioral health organization located in Alpena, Michigan on the beautiful shores of Lake Huron. We service Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency, and Presque Isle counties with the purpose to provide comprehensive services and supports that enable people to live and work independently.
Our goal is to offer employees the best of both worlds: a positive and exciting work environment with a healthy and balanced home life. Our region offers a peaceful up north living with year round recreational opportunities.
Apply for Position