Self Determination Coordinator
Salary: $20.17 - $27.81
What is Self Determination?
Self-Determination allows individuals the freedom to hire staff of their choosing to provide needed services and supports.
Participation in self‐determination shall be a voluntary option on the part of the individual served and the Agency. Individuals served by the Agency may have the authority to select, control, and direct their own services and supports arrangements through authority over the resources allotted in an individual budget.
An individual and their team will identify goals and preferences through the person centered planning process. The Individualized Plan of Services (IPOS) is used to authorize funding for supports and services.
Is training available? Yes! NeMCMHA prides itself on the level of support and training we can offer our staff. From CPR-FA to Non-violent Intervention and Gentle Teaching, there are plenty of opportunities to grow here.
Do I need a license in order to apply? No. A bachelor’s degree in an accredited QMHP or QIDP field is required, but no licensure is needed.
What is an accredited QMHP or QIDP field? Qualified Intellectual Disability Professional (QIDP) or Qualified Mental Health Professional (QMHP) may be a psychologist, physician, educator, social worker, physical therapist, occupational therapist, speech-language pathologist, audiologist, registered nurse, registered dietician, theraputic recreation specialist, licensed or limited licensed professional counselor or marriage and family therapist, or a licensed physician's assistant. To achieve a QMHP or QIDP accredidation, a professional with one of these backgrounds will have specialized training or one year expereince in treating or working with a person who has mental illness or an intellectual disability.
This posting takes place on-site. Due to the nature of the work, remote employment is currently unavailable for this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in accredited QMHP or QIDP field.
- Knowledge of developmental disabilities and of people with developmental disabilities desirable.
- Lived experience with mental illness, intellectual and developmental disabilities, and/or substance use disorders valued.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record (as determined by the agency).
- Good communication skills--both verbal and written--are required.
- Must be able to understand and follow directions.
- Good planning and organizational skills are essential.
- Must be able to develop and maintain favorable public relations.
- Must be a self-starter, who is flexible.
- Available to work irregular hours.
- Work in a team oriented environment and is familiar with and embraces the practice and philosophies and tools of Gentle Teaching.
As a Self-Determination Coordinator you will:
- Work under the supervision of the Self-Determination Supervisor in supporting persons served in using the Self Determination model.
- Be responsible for assisting the person served and natural supports in
- creating a written schedule,
- coaching/educating/guiding the person served in developing/managing and reconciling their budget and personal assistants as directed in the individual’s Person Centered Plan.
- Will be a valued team member and actively participate in “person-centered planning”.
- Promote appropriate choice and support focused on achieving as independent and inclusive life that is relevant to the individuals’ needs and circumstances.
- Actively work to build a supportive team for the purpose of service delivery.
- Be responsible for coordinating and encouraging the self-determination initiative for NeMCMHA.
- Act as a liaison with contractual providers/agencies that provide services for people with mental illness and/or developmental disabilities in the development of self-determined approaches to supports and services.
- Embrace and practice the philosophies and tools of Gentle Teaching.
- Demonstrate knowledge of universal precautions, standards of practice including but not limited to confidentiality, HIPPA, recipient rights, and emergency protocol.
- Demonstrate effective coaching strategies and evaluation techniques for person served to be able to better coach and evaluate their personal assistants that adhere to “person-centered planning”.
- Maintain good communication with clinical staff, case managers and supports coordinators, all direct run programs (SIP, CSS, Employment) and other providers.
- Perform general administration and monitoring of quality and satisfaction of service provided.
- Develop, monitor and adhere to Self-Determination budgets.
- Complete monthly over/under reports to assure appropriate utilization, reporting variance to accounting.
- Be responsible for adhering to budgetary guidelines relating to the program.
- Sign and review monthly invoices and case notes.
- Comply with Rules and Regulations concerning Self Determination Agreements established by Medicaid, Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, PIHP, and NeMCMHA.
- Maintain records as required.
- Assure that health, medication and personal care needs of individuals served are met and addressed.
- Actively work with the person served to arrange for any necessary training of staff, as outlined in the IPOS.
- Assist person served in self-advocacy, providing pertinent information for program plans and futures planning.
- The Self-Determination Coordinator may be required to assist with staff training and curriculum.
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Pension Plan
- 10 Paid Holidays
- Generous leave time package
- Qualify for loan forgiveness
- And more!
WHO ARE WE?
Northeast Michigan Community Mental Health Authority is a CARF accredited behavioral health organization located in Alpena, Michigan on the beautiful shores of Lake Huron. We service Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency, and Presque Isle counties with the purpose to provide comprehensive services and supports that enable people to live and work independently.
Our goal is to offer employees the best of both worlds: a positive and exciting work environment with a healthy and balanced home life. Our region offers a peaceful up north living with year round recreational opportunities.
Apply for Position