Direct Care Worker
Residential and Independent Living Settings
$500 Sign On Bonus after 30 days of employment!
What is a Residential Training Worker (RTW)?
RTWs work in NeMCMH's residential homes across Northeast Michigan to provide training and treatment to individuals with developmental disabilities and mental illness. By encouraging and assisting with tasks such as laundry, cooking, and grocery shopping, RTWs promote independence and life skills. Social activities are also a part of the RTW's job, at times going out to enjoy community events and social gatherings with individuals living in the residential homes.
What is the personnel ratio? Unlike in many other caregiving settings, RTWs will only have a 1:3 ratio on average. It may be lower in some instances.
What shifts are available? Day, afternoon, and night. Days will include getting individuals ready for the day/going to work, cooking breakfast, attending doctor's appointments, and any activities the individuals will need to accomplish. Afternoons has dinner, clean-up, and getting ready for bed. Night shift handles prep work for the next day's meals and activities, etc.... There are Full-Time, Part-Time, and Casual employment opportunities.
Do I need a CNA license in order to apply? No! We train all of our RTWs so that you'll be more than ready for your first shift. We also offer continuing training and a supportive work environment if you need assistance. That said, if you already have your license - we welcome it!
- High school diploma or GED preferred.
- Knowledge of developmental disabilities and of people with developmental disabilities desirable.
- Lived experience with mental illness, intellectual and developmental disabilities, and/or substance use disorders valued.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record (as determined by the agency).
- Ability to work a varied schedule is desirable.
- Ability to work within a team setting.
- Good communication skills--both verbal and written--are required.
- Must be able to understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Complete company sponsored RTW training and refresher courses as assigned. (Additional trainings available for all employees.)
- Provide a wide range of services in residential and community settings.
- Participate in the team meetings of consumers.
- Provide training/treatment to consumers individually as well as in small groups, following programs that are written by members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Transport clients in agency-owned vehicles.
- Distribute medication in a prescribed manner.
- Assist with and/or provide general housekeeping tasks, meal preparation, general cleanup, and grocery shopping.
- Assist in identifying problems and evaluating progress of consumers.
- Assist in the maintenance of case records, i.e., progress notes, incident/accident reports, data recording, filing.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe, pleasant living atmosphere through the use of a consistent training/teaching environment.
- Short-term Disability
- 10 Paid Holidays
- Generous leave time package
- Employee Assistance Program
- Annual Health Screening
- And more!
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: From $16.22 per hour
Must wear a face mask with consumers.
Apply for Position